Monday, February 1, 2016

Permissible to Lie

Jessica Smith
Prof. Young
February 1, 2016
250 word response

            Many individuals specifically teachers, students, parents, children, actresses, actors, politicians and bosses, frequently lie. However, do these people have the right to do so? Lies can range from all sizes and severity. The reasons behind the lies created can vary as well. Some individuals feel the need to lie to protect those they care about from the truth that will hurt them. Others may lie simply for the fact that they are not strong enough to tell the truth. Since there are so many reasons for all types of lies, I strongly believe that it is permissible to lie when necessary. 
            There was a time I was forced to lie to my best friend about a surprise party we were all throwing for her. It was harsh at first when all of her friends, including myself, ‘coincidently’ made plans on her birthday. However, when it came time for her to walk into a room full of her loved ones screaming, “Happy Birthday!” she never seemed happier. It was up until that point where the lie was blossoming into something that could have hurt my friend’s feelings. Though, the look on her face made it all worth it. Lies like covering for a surprise party I feel are allowed to be permissible, though there are some that are not.

            As I was younger, around the age of 16, I never told the truth to my parents. I figured if I told them the truth about what I wanted to do, I would never be allowed to leave the house. I told them I was sleeping at a friend’s house when really I would be out at a party down the street. Looking back, I see it was wrong of me to lie because I see now that if I just told them the truth, I would have been allowed to do whatever I wanted. Overall, lying is only permissible sometimes. If a person is lying to protect someone’s feelings it may be necessary. However, if a person is lying to protect him/herself, it doesn’t seem right.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post Jessica. I wonder how Henry's lie about his identity relates to your post. Was it "permissible" for him to lie about his identity? What was occurring during this time period to make it necessary for him to lie?

    What page of The Good Lord Bird explains why Henry felt it necessary to lie? Do you agree with is reasoning? What does his reasoning say about him?

    I look forward to your response.

    -Prof. Young

    ReplyDelete
  2. On page 20 is where the "life lie" of Henry becoming a girl really began. Henry talks about how Pa tried to explain to John Brown that Henry was a boy, but John Brown believed whatever he wanted to believe. Then as we continue to read, pages 31 and 32 is where Henry continued the identity lie. His dress went up after he was knocked out and Fred saw that "Henrietta" was clearly a boy. However Henry doesn't admit his secret, he plays it off as if he doesn't understand what is going on. That would have been the perfect time to explain his true identity, however he continues the act of being a girl. I think he continues to lie because he's scared. During this time period, slaves had to fight for the lives, and any day a white person could overpower a black person. Being that John Brown is a white man, he intimidates Henry. Not to mention, Henry saw what John Brown was capable of as far as taking someones life, and I think he's scared that John Brown will take his as well. With that being said, like my post said above, there are times when it is permissible to lie and I feel as though Henry had every right to continue to do so. He's trying to save his own life simply because he won't know the outcome if he admits his true identity. Henry is lying out of fear and is not trying to harm anyone in doing so.

    ReplyDelete